August 1, 2014
ThoughtSpot 2014 Inspires as General Session Concludes
Las Vegas, NV – The evolving healthcare landscape
presents unique issues and opportunities for independent community pharmacies.
At ThoughtSpot 2014,
AmerisourceBergen and Good Neighbor Pharmacy’s annual
tradeshow, pharmacists are equipped with practices and resources to enhance
patient care and profitability. At today’s General Session, AmerisourceBergen
leaders focused on critical issues to give independent pharmacists the tools
they need to learn, optimize and grow.
ThoughtSpot show attendance experienced a nearly 70% increase in participants this year over last year and the conference theme of pharmacy transformation was delivered through a series of presentations by AmerisourceBergen thought leaders including Steve Collis, CEO; Dave Neu, President, AmerisourceBergen Drug Company; AJ Caffentzis, President, Community & Specialty Pharmacy; and Scott Robinson, Vice President, Good Neighbor Pharmacy.
“Over the past year, AmerisourceBergen and Good Neighbor Pharmacy have transformed to better serve independent community pharmacies,” said Steve Collis, President and CEO of AmerisourceBergen. “Through investments, new technology, innovative equipment, and updates to company infrastructure, AmerisourceBergen’s knowledge, reach and partnership are shaping healthcare delivery in new ways.”
- Launched today, several digital tools will help keep pharmacists connected. The MyGNP mobile app allows for online prescription refills, and features a store locator and health news. Good Neighbor Pharmacy University is a central source of education, resources, announcements and news for pharmacy owners and their staff and an online community where pharmacists can learn from each other and industry experts.
- Through seminars and Continuing Education courses on medication adherence, clinical care, business building, legislative updates, and long-term care, ThoughtSpot attendees received valuable business resources, pharmacy solutions, and services to transform and enhance the quality of patient care and safety.
- Many tools and resources go beyond the show. Pharmacists will begin receiving Retail Remedy, a monthly publication with news, tips, and product specials focused on front-end retail, and can sign up for the Creative Pharmacist, a training program to help improve outcomes for a number of chronic diseases.
- Throughout the year, AmerisourceBergen works with pharmacists to navigate the Affordable Care Act and equips them with the knowledge they need for growth and success in an ever-changing healthcare landscape. AmerisourceBergen helps pharmacists view reform as an opportunity to leverage their unique value as an independent pharmacy and to use the industry uncertainty as a foundation for business growth.
- A critical component of Good Neighbor Pharmacy’s effort to help community pharmacies transform patient care was its successful CMS Star Measures education initiative. This series provided pharmacists with instructions, tools and advice for how to view CMS Star Measures as a business opportunity and enhance patient outcomes. The three-part series wrapped-up at ThoughtSpot, in a final session by expert and pharmacy owner, Tripp Logan, PharmD. Nearly 73% of Good Neighbor Pharmacy Provider Network locations are helping health plans achieve three stars or better on adherence.
- In 2014, AmerisourceBergen strengthened their core business through growth strategies, technology investments and an enhanced distribution network to operate more efficiently than ever before.
- The National Distribution Center in Columbus, Ohio is the next generation of pharmaceutical distribution. When it opens this fall, it will be the nucleus of AmerisourceBergen’s nationwide pharmaceutical distribution business. The center will help people get the medication they need when they need it, and will make it easier for manufacturers to deliver product.
- AmerisourceBergen is also investing in their existing distribution centers nationwide, to increase volume and yield more efficient operations processes.
- Good Neighbor Pharmacy continues to work with the National Community Pharmacists Association to have a voice and presence in Washington, DC on behalf of independent pharmacists, focusing on issues such as access, reimbursement, technology and state-based issues.
- AmerisourceBergen has gained insight in international markets through the long-term relationship with Walgreens and Alliance Boots. Through this relationship, the Good Neighbor Pharmacy network has access to critical resources and tools to help transform their businesses, today and tomorrow.
Rounding out the morning’s General Session was a motivating address by ThoughtSpot 2014 Keynote Speaker Robert Irvine, host of Food Network’s Restaurant: Impossible. Irvine’s address continued the theme of business transformation as he spoke about key practices for revitalizing locations, controlling inventory and improving business offerings and customer service.
Scott Robinson, Vice President, Good Neighbor Pharmacy, gave attendees a sneak peek of TransPHARMation, an intensive process including a complete analysis of business operations and profitability, from core prescription business and customer service to the front end and everything in between. Good Neighbor Pharmacy will provide deep assessment based on a holistic understanding of independent pharmacies, combined with technology and analytics to enable data-driven business decisions. From identifying new growth opportunities that diversify revenue to optimizing core prescription business, TransPHARMation puts independent pharmacies in the best possible position to enhance patient lives - today and in the future.
“As an independent community pharmacist, attending ThoughtSpot each year helps me learn about the latest products and solutions for my business, while also helping me think ahead to what the future looks like for my patients,” said Roger Malerba, President/CEO at Hylan Medicine Cabinet, in Staten Island, NY. “Leaving the conference, I feel energized and ready to help my patients stay adherent through the techniques and programs I learned about at ThoughtSpot.”
The General Session ended with an exciting announcement of the Good Neighbor Pharmacy of the Year Award winner. This esteemed award recognizes pharmacies who exemplify what it means to be a Good Neighbor Pharmacy in their commitment to enhancing patient care and lives in local communities. This year’s honor was awarded to Harry Race Pharmacy, from Sitka, AK, a pharmacy that is going above and beyond in shaping healthcare delivery.
AmerisourceBergen is one of the largest global pharmaceutical sourcing and distribution services companies, helping both healthcare providers and pharmaceutical and biotech manufacturers improve patient access to products and enhance patient care. With services ranging from drug distribution and niche premium logistics to reimbursement and pharmaceutical consulting services, AmerisourceBergen delivers innovative programs and solutions across the pharmaceutical supply channel. With over $100 billion in annualized revenue, AmerisourceBergen is headquartered in Valley Forge, PA, and employs approximately 13,000 people. AmerisourceBergen is ranked #28 on the Fortune 500 list. For more information, go to www.amerisourcebergen.com.