Conshohocken, Pa – The AmerisourceBergen Foundation, an independent not-for-profit
charitable giving organization focused on supporting health-related causes that
enrich the global community, has committed more than $150,000 to
organizations providing aid and supporting relief efforts in communities in the
United States, Haiti, Afghanistan, and Turkey that have been affected by
natural disasters and crises.
donations will support relief efforts in communities in the United States that
experienced widespread destruction caused by Hurricane Ida, and in Turkey, where
large-scale wildfires and floods have caused severe damage across the country. In
August, the Foundation made donations to support relief efforts in Haiti, where
a 7.2-magnitude earthquake hit the country’s southwestern region. The
Foundation’s support will also help organizations focused on delivering aid to
people in Afghanistan amid the escalating humanitarian crisis.
“It’s heartbreaking to see the severe devastation in
communities around the world,” said Gina Clark, President of the
AmerisourceBergen Foundation. “As an organization committed to supporting
efforts that expand global access to healthcare, we recognize the urgent need
for medical supplies, emergency care and relief services following a natural
disaster or amid a deepening humanitarian crisis. Through partnerships with
nonprofits that are leading relief and assistance efforts in these communities,
we hope to provide the support they need to continue to deliver critical
services during these crises.”
The Foundation has committed support to the following
Americares: As a health-focused relief and development organization, Americares is bringing emergency medical and relief supplies to Haiti, including medicine, surgical and wound care products, intravenous fluids, personal protective equipment (PPE) and hygiene products.
- Partners in Health (PIH): A nonprofit that focuses on bringing modern medicine to the poorest and sickest communities in the world, PIH is distributing supplies and deploying medical response teams to hard-hit communities in Haiti to provide trauma and emergency care.
- International Rescue Committee (IRC): The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises. The organization, which estimates that more than 18 million Afghans require humanitarian assistance, launched a campaign to provide urgent humanitarian aid, emergency cash assistance and protection services for internally displaced people in Kabul.
- Women for Afghan Women (WAW): WAW helps Afghan women and girls exercise their right to pursue their individual potential, self-determination, and representation in all areas of life—political, social, cultural, and economic. During the crisis in Afghanistan, the organization has continued to provide shelter, resources, and aid to the thousands of people under its care.
- United Way of Southeast Louisiana: The nonprofit launched a Hurricane Ida Relief Fund that will support immediate relief efforts and long-term rebuilding, as well as community grants to partner organizations providing direct services to assist with disaster recovery.
- Wings of Rescue: Wings of Rescue flies at-risk pets from disaster areas and overcrowded shelters to shelters where there is empty kennel space.
- Direct Relief: Direct Relief, which provides essential medical resources for people affected by poverty and for communities impacted by emergencies, is supporting relief efforts led by AKUT Arama Kurtarma Dernegi, Turkey’s oldest and largest volunteer search and rescue group.
The Foundation has committed to match AmerisourceBergen team
member donations made to select organizations mentioned above through the
Foundation’s matching gift program, myCommunityImpact, by 200 percent.
As the philanthropic arm of AmerisourceBergen Corporation,
the Foundation is aligned in its mission to support efficient and safe access
to pharmaceutical care around the globe. During times of need, it is the
collection of AmerisourceBergen, its associates and the Foundation that come
together united in a responsibility to create healthier futures to effectively
support relief efforts. Together, these organizations work tirelessly around
the clock to expand access to quality healthcare, improve patient outcomes and
ensure that healthcare providers are able to receive the products they rely on
to treat those who are immediately impacted. For more information about the
AmerisourceBergen Foundation, visit www.amerisourcebergenfoundation.org.
About the AmerisourceBergen Foundation
The AmerisourceBergen Foundation is an independent not-for-profit charitable
giving organization established by AmerisourceBergen Corporation to support
health-related causes that enrich that global community. The Foundation aims to
improve the health and well-being of its patient populations – both human and
animal – by investing in its communities. Through strategic partnerships and
community collaboration, the Foundation works to expand access to quality
healthcare and provide resources to ensure prescription drug safety. For more
information, visit www.amerisourcebergenfoundation.org.