October 5, 2022
The AmerisourceBergen Foundation Commits $100,000 to Support Hurricane Ian Relief Efforts
Targeted donations will support organizations leading emergency response efforts in Florida and other impacted regions
Conshohocken, Pa (October 6, 2022) –The AmerisourceBergen Foundation, an independent not-for-profit charitable giving organization focused on supporting health-related causes that enrich the global community, has committed $100,000 to aid emergency relief efforts in Florida and other affected regions in the wake of Hurricane Ian. The targeted donations will support organizations that are leading front-line emergency response efforts and having a direct impact on the communities in need.
“It’s heartbreaking to see the devastating impact of Hurricane Ian and the aftermath that continues to unfold in Florida and the surrounding communities,” said Gina Clark, President of the AmerisourceBergen Foundation. “The Foundation is committed to expanding global access to healthcare and recognizes the urgent need for emergency services and medical supplies following yet another natural disaster. Through both longstanding and new partnerships with nonprofits that are leading relief efforts in the affected regions, we hope to provide timely support to continue delivering critical services to those in need.”
The Foundation has committed support to the following organizations:
- Direct Relief: Direct Relief is coordinating multiple rapid response shipments of medical aid across Florida. They had prepositioned Hurricane Prep Packs in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and across the U.S. Gulf Coast.
- Florida Veterinary Medical Association (FVMA) Foundation: The FVMA Foundation’s Disaster Relief Fund is helping to rebuild practices and rescue animals, working on the front lines and behind the scenes to help veterinary professionals get back on their feet.
- Healthcare Ready: Healthcare Ready has activated RxOpen.org in the region and is working with non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the Florida Association of Community Health Centers (FACHC), and the Florida Association of Free and Charitable Clinics (FAFCC) to pilot a program that tracks the operating status of safety-net clinics. This new function will be tested during the Hurricane Ian response and will require extensive systems building to be incorporated into all future responses.
- United Way Suncoast: United Way Suncoast’s Disaster Recovery Fund will meet storm-related needs and support mid- and long-term recovery for those impacted throughout Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, and DeSoto counties. They focus on rebuilding communities and ensuring families have access to needed resources as they get back on their feet.
- SWFL Emergency Relief Fund: The United Way of Lee, Hendry, and Glades Counties has partnered with Collaboratory (formerly the Southwest Florida Community Foundation) in Fort Myers to mobilize the SWFL Emergency Relief Fund to support southwest Florida nonprofits that are helping those experiencing the most immediate needs in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian.
As the philanthropic arm of AmerisourceBergen Corporation, the Foundation is aligned in its mission to support efficient and safe access to pharmaceutical care around the globe. The AmerisourceBergen Foundation supports nonprofits year-round through a robust grantmaking process which includes proactive disaster response support to strategic partners: Americares, Direct Relief, Healthcare Ready, National Disaster Search Dog Foundation, NCPA Foundation, NOMV, and Wings of Rescue. During times of need, it is the collection of AmerisourceBergen, its associates, and the Foundation that come together united in a responsibility to create healthier futures and effectively support relief efforts. Together, these organizations work tirelessly around the clock to expand access to quality healthcare, improve patient outcomes and ensure that healthcare providers are able to receive the products they rely on to treat those who are immediately impacted. For more information about the AmerisourceBergen Foundation, visit www.amerisourcebergenfoundation.org.
About the AmerisourceBergen Foundation
The AmerisourceBergen Foundation is an independent not-for-profit charitable giving organization established by AmerisourceBergen Corporation to support health-related causes that enrich the global community. The Foundation aims to improve the health and well-being of its patient populations – both human and animal – by investing in its communities. Through strategic partnerships and community collaboration, the Foundation works to expand access to quality healthcare, and provide resources to ensure prescription drug safety. For more information, visit www.amerisourcebergenfoundation.org.